Brilliant Beginnings Learning Center III
3740 Holland Road
Virginia beach, VA 23452
Current Inspector: Arlene Agustin (804) 629-7519
Inspection Date: Sept. 14, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-780 Staff Qualifications and Training.
8VAC20-780 Physical Plant.
8VAC20-780 Staffing and Supervision.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSE.
8VAC20-820 THE LICENSING PROCESS.
8VAC20-770 Background Checks (8VAC20-770)
20 Access to minor?s records
22.1 Background Checks Code, Carbon Monoxide
63.2 Child Abuse & Neglect
An unannounced renewal inspection was conducted on September 14, 2023. The inspector arrived at 9:30 AM and departed at approximately 12:15PM. There were 45 children present and 10 staff members. A sample size of 12 records were reviewed which included 7 children?s records and 5 staff records. The Inspectors observed staff and children?s interactions throughout the inspection. Children were observed during group activity, free play, handwashing, diapering, lunch and naptime. First aid kits and emergency preparedness documents were observed. Transportation vans and medications were observed. Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented. The violations are listed on the violation notice issued to the center and were reviewed with the site director at the exit interview.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-60-A Description: Based on record review and interview it was determined that the center did not ensure to maintain and keep at the center a separate record for each child enrolled which shall contain work phone numbers of each parents who has custody.
1. Child #1, Child #2, and Child #3?s records observed did not have a parent?s work phone number.
2. Staff #1 and Staff #2 confirmed that Child #1, Child #2, and Child #3?s records did not have a parent?s work phone number.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The center will obtain the work phone numbers for Child #1, Child #2, and Child #3 and review the children?s records to ensure the phone numbers are documented.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-270-A Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that areas and equipment of the center, inside and outside, shall be maintained in a safe and operable condition.
1. The infant room walls and door frames of the center has chipping and peeling paint.
2. In the 3 year old classroom, the baseboard to one side of the room is coming off and there is a hole to the storage closet door that is about 16 inches long. This poses as an injury hazard to the children in care.
3. In the 2 year old classroom, there is a broken bin which holds children?s toys posing as a pinching hazard to the children in care.
4. In both the boys and girls bathrooms, there is one toilet in both the bathrooms that have a 1 inch screw protruding out of the side of the commode. This poses as an injury hazard to children in care.
5. The toddler classroom?s front door is very difficult to open and close. This poses as a fire and injury hazard to the children in care.
6. On the playground, there were two small bikes that have broken and rusted handlebars. The large play apparatus has a cracked plastic window.
7. Staff #1 confirmed that there are areas in the center that need repair regarding chipping paint, baseboards, doors, and the toilets.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Work orders have been placed to repaint the walls and door frames, to repair the door to the toddler room, to fix the baseboards, and to remove the 1 inch screws protruding from the commodes. The plastic window of the playground set will be replaced. The broken toy bin was immediately disposed of during the inspection.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-500-B Description: Based on observation and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that disposable diapers shall be disposed in a leakproof or plastic-lined storage system that is either foot-operated or used in such a way that neither the staff member's hand nor the soiled diaper touches an exterior surface of the storage system during disposal.
1. The foot-operated garbage used for diaper disposal in the toddler room has a broken foot pedal which staff member?s hands would touch the exterior surface of the storage system during diaper disposal.
2. Toddler staff members confirmed that the foot-operated garbage?s pedal is broken and that their hands would touch the exterior surface of the storage system when disposing of a diaper.
3. Staff #1 confirmed that the foot pedal of the garbage in the toddler room is broken.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: Staff #1 will purchase a new garbage today and place it in the toddler room.
Standard #: 8VAC20-780-550-P Description: Based on record review and interview, it was determined that the center did not ensure that written record of children's serious and minor injuries in which entries are made the day of occurrence include the following: 1. Date and time of injury; 2. Name of injured child; 3. Type and circumstance of the injury; 4. Staff present and treatment; 5. Date and time when parents were notified; 6. Any future action to prevent recurrence of the injury; 7. Staff and parent signatures or two staff signatures; and 8. Documentation on how parent was notified.
1. The first injury report that was observed that was written on June 26, 2023, did not have the required two signatures by staff or staff and parents, and documentation of how a parent was notified.
2. The second injury reported that was observed that was written on June 27, 2023 did not have the date and time of the injury, the name of the injured child, any future action to prevent recurrence of the injury, and documentation of how the parent was notified.
3. Staff #1 confirmed that both injury reports were missing required documentation to the written injury reports by staff.
Plan of Correction: The center responded with the following: The center has a scheduled staff meeting this evening. The documentation of injury reports will be reviewed for staff.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.