9 Briar Hill Drive
Fieldale, VA 24089
Current Inspector: Rebecca Forestier (540) 309-2835
Inspection Date: May 17, 2023
Complaint Related: No
- Areas Reviewed:
8VAC20-800 PHYSICAL HEALTH OF CAREGIVERS AND HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS
8VAC20-800 CAREGIVER TRAINING
8VAC20-800 PHYSICAL EQUIPMENT AND ENVIRONMENT
8VAC20-800 CARE OF CHILDREN
8VAC20-800 PREVENTING THE SPREAD OF DISEASE
8VAC20-800 MEDICATION ADMINISTRATION
8VAC20-770 BACKGROUND CHECKS
22.1 BACKGROUND CHECKS, CODE, CARBON MONOXIDE
54.1 PROVIDER MUST BE MAT CERTIFIED TO ADMINISTER PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION
An unannounced monitoring inspection was conducted on 05/17/2023. There were 5 children, ages 23 months- 4 years, totaling 11 points and 2 caregivers present during the inspection. The inspector reviewed compliance in the areas of administration, personnel, environment and equipment, preventing the spread of disease, emergencies and nutrition. A total of 5 children?s records, 2 caregiver records, 1 pet record and 2 medications were reviewed. The children were observed in free choice play, watching television, and during lunch. The inspector discussed subsidy requirements, medication and allergies with the provider. The inspector arrived for the inspection at 10:25 am and departed at 12:15 pm.
Information gathered during the inspection determined non-compliance with applicable standards or law and violations were documented on the violation notice issued to the provider.
Standard #: 8VAC20-800-730-D Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on observation, the provider failed to ensure that medication, including medications for caregivers and household members, shall be kept in a locked place using a safe locking method that prevents access by children.
1. There were two epi-pen stored in the first aid kit located on the top of a tall filing cabinet. The first aid kit was not locked to prevent access by children.
2. There was a tube of Ben-Gay on the shelf over the toilet that was not locked to prevent access by children.
Plan of Correction: Will purchase a locked box today to keep the medication in.
Standard #: 8VAC20-800-60-B Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on record review, the provider failed to ensure that each child?s record shall contain all of the elements as required by the standards.
1. The record for Child 1 did not contain the first date of attendance.
2. The record for Child 4 did not contain written authorization for emergency medical care should an emergency occur and the parent cannot be located immediately.
Plan of Correction: Will get with the parents and get the information.
Standard #: 8VAC20-800-180-A Description: Based on record review, the provider failed to obtain a current report of tuberculosis screening every two years from the date of the first screening.
1. The most recent tuberculosis screening in the record for Caregiver 1 was dated 04/30/2021; there was not a screening for 2023 available for review during the inspection.
2. The most recent tuberculosis screening in the record for Caregiver 2 was dated 05/12/2021; there was not a screening for 2023 available for review during the inspection.
Plan of Correction: Will call for an appointment.
Standard #: 8VAC20-800-280 Description: REPEAT VIOLATION
Based on observation, the provider failed to ensure that potentially poisonous substances, materials and supplies such as, but not limited to, cleaning agents, disinfectants, deodorizers, plant care chemicals, pesticides, and petroleum distillates shall be stored away from food and in areas inaccessible to children.
1. There was a spray bottle of Clorox on top of the refrigerator along with boxes of crackers.
2. There was a bottle of Clorox on the kitchen counter beside of the prepared meals.
Plan of Correction: Will store on the shelf with cleaning supplies only.
Standard #: 8VAC20-800-320-B Description: Based on observations, the provider failed to ensure that child-resistant protective covers shall be installed on all unused electrical outlets and surge protectors accessible to children under five years of age.
1. There was an uncovered electrical outlet in the childcare room that was accessible to the children.
2. There was an uncovered electrical outlet in the kitchen that was accessible to the children.
Plan of Correction: Will cover today.
A compliance history is in no way a rating for a facility.
The online compliance history includes only information after July 1, 2003. In addition, the online compliance history includes information regarding adverse actions that may be the subject of a pending appeal. An adverse action is not final until a provider has exhausted or waived all due process rights. For compliance history prior to July 1, 2003, or information regarding the status of pending adverse actions, please contact the Licensing Inspector listed in the facility's information. The Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) is not responsible for any errors in or omissions from the compliance history information.
Virginia Quality is a voluntary quality rating and improvement system for early care and education facilities serving children ages birth through pre-K. To find programs participating in Virginia Quality, click here.