Click Here for Additional Resources
Enforcement Actions

Child support is very important. If you are paying child support regularly, thank you for meeting that responsibility to your child(ren). If you owe support and are not paying, state and federal laws allow the Division of Child Support Enforcement and the courts to collect the money you owe. Some ways we collect support include:

  • having your employer withhold support from your wages;
  • issuing liens and orders to withhold money in bank accounts and other financial institution accounts;
  • seizing and selling your property;
  • intercepting state and federal payments and refunds due you;
  • reporting your past due support to consumer reporting agencies;
  • requesting the Secretary of State to deny, revoke, restrict or limit your passport; and
  • having the Virginia Employment Commission withhold support from your unemployment benefits.

If you owe at least $5,000 or are behind at least 90 days in your payments or you fail to respond to a subpoena, summons or warrant issued by the Division, we may take the following actions:

  • Ask the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to suspend or refuse to renew your driver's license.
  • Ask the court to require you to turn in any certificate, registration, or other business, trade, professional, occupational or recreational license (including hunting and fishing) issued to you.

    Google Translate Logo

    (deaf or hard-of-hearing):

    (800) 828-1120, or 711