Federal and state benefit programs that provided temporary eligibility and enrollment procedures due to the COVID-19 pandemic will begin returning to regular operations over the coming months. Use the below links to find out more about each affected program.
What program changes are you looking to learn more about?
- Food Assistance
Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer (P-EBT)
- This program supplemented school meals that students missed while schools were closed or placed on part-time schedules due to COVID-19 restrictions.
SNAP Emergency Allotments
- SNAP Emergency Allotments were a temporary federal benefit that raised eligible SNAP households' maximum benefit. The last Emergency Allotments benefit was issued Feb 16, 2023. Households will receive only their normal benefits without the additional supplement beginning March 2023.
SNAP for College Students
- Eligibility was temporarily expanded to allow greater participation by students enrolled at least half-time in an institution of higher education. Now that the federal Public Health Emergency has ended (effective May 11, 2023), the temporary SNAP eligibility policies for college students will also end effective June 10, 2023.
- Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer (P-EBT)
- Medical Assistance
- The Medicaid and Family Access to Medical Insurance Security Plan (FAMIS) programs provided continuous coverage during the previous period and participants were not required to redetermine eligibility for annual renewal of benefits. To learn more, visit CoverVA.org.
- Cash Assistance
- Temporary Cash Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) families were temporarily provided benefits beyond the usual 24- and 60-month limits. Requirements for the Virginia Initiative for Education and Work (VIEW) program were also waived.
Explanation of Changes to Benefit Programs Flyer
English | Amharic | Arabic | Dari | Pashto | Spanish | Urdu | Vietnamese
Review, Respond, Renew!
Has your phone number, address, job or other personal information changed since your last Medicaid application or renewal? Report any changes through your CommonHelp account.
Temporary Benefits for Several Virginia Assistance Programs Will End Soon
SNAP Emergency Allotments Will End in February
Check your eligibility and apply online for multiple benefit programs through CommonHelp.
For information regarding local resources in your area, visit 2-1-1 Virginia.